Maybe your list is different from mine. Maybe you like different genres, different stories, different characters. The movies I like are strange, interesting, unique, funny, happy, bright, and lovely. They let me live a different life for just a little while and that is a wonderful wonderful thing. Here is my list along with short descriptions of each film. Enjoy!
- Moonrise Kingdom: A young orphan at a scouting camp falls in a love with his pen pal and they run away together.
Why I love it: It is fun and silly. It takes place in 1965 so you get a lot of vintage goodness and the story shows a beautiful story of young love.
- Brave: A Scottish princess is being forced by her mother to be engaged and married but she is strong and wants to be in control of her own life.
Why I love it: I'm a feminist and I don't think that I'll ever get married so I can really relate to this character. Also, I just love her! She wants to take control of her own life and do what she wants, even if other people don't think that she should.
- Splinterheads: A young man doesn't know what to do with his life until he falls in love with a splinterhead from a travelling carnival who loves geocaching and adventures.
Why I love it: I'm a geocacher so it's nice to see an awesome movie that has geocaching in it. The story is fun and it's just a really different movie with interesting characters.
- Practical Magic: Witches. Magic. Romance. What more can I say?
Why I love it: This movie has awesome locations, especially the house! I love magic and the story focuses on women solving a big problem, so it's great!
- Somewhere in Time: A man falls in love with a beautiful actress from the past so he travels back in time to meet her.
Why I love it: A sweet romantic story with time travelling is always interesting. Also, it was filmed at the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island in Michigan, where I actually stayed once (the photo at the top of this post is from the room that we stayed in).
- Tuck Everlasting: A young girl falls in love with the youngest son of an immortal family.
Why I love it: It takes place in the early 1900s and addresses the question of whether someone would want to live forever if given the chance. I have read the book and there are some big differences but I still like both the book and the movie.
- The Rocky Horror Picture Show: A newly engaged couple have car troubles but they find a mysterious mansion filled with strange people not knowing that the craziest things are about to happen.
Why I love it: It is a fun and crazy musical with amazing characters.