Wednesday 21 August 2013

My Favourite Plant


Bamboo! I love bamboo plants! I have two sitting in my bedroom. There is a big reason for why I bought bamboo plants specifically for my bedroom. I've always wanted to have a plant in my bedroom, but, since my bedroom is on the north side of the house, it doesn't get a lot of sunlight. When we were shopping in Ikea one day, I was looking at all of the pretty bamboo plants and read the instructions on how to care for them. The tag said that bamboo plants only need slight sunlight. I had found the perfect plant for my bedroom! I ended up buying a bamboo plant that was shaped (it kinds of curls into a swirl at the top) which was $5 and I found a 69 cent vase (a pretty blue thick glassed one, good quality) and found some black pebbles at home that we had once bought at a dollar store. When choosing my bamboo plant, I didn't really know if there were any tips on which ones to choose and which ones not to choose so I just chose one that didn't have any brown on its leaves. At home, I put the bamboo plant in the vase, put the pebbles around it, and filled the vase with water (to a height that I thought would be good enough). Bamboo plants only need a certain amount of water (you can find some information on bamboo plant care by searching the internet) but I always put enough water so that the plant can go a while before I have to change the water again. The water only needs to be changed every week or two which is nice for people who forget to water their plants often. Also, bamboo plants don’t even need pebbles or any sort of soil or stones, they only need water, but pebbles help keep the bamboo standing up in the vase instead of it leaning to the side. 



I've had my bamboo plant for over a year now and it’s still doing great! It has many more leaves than when I bought it and the leaves keep growing bigger. I was so happy with it that I bought a second bamboo plant during another visit to Ikea! This time, I bought a straight bamboo plant and bought a vase for it with a  top that I can lean the bamboo plant up against so that I can just fill the vase with water. They are both so beautiful and I’m so happy that I was able to find a type of plant that I can keep in my bedroom! I really recommend bamboo plants for rooms or houses that don't get a lot of sunlight or for people who like plants that require minimal care.

-Kaylie

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated.